
Well if you are a Mangel then you know that it has been since Grandma Mangel passed away that a decent "streusel" has been made and it seems as though when she died she took her secret of the "streusel" with her. Well after the long wait I think Nelli and I have figured out the "streusel." Okay, well it wasn't us that figured it out, it was a elderly German native Sister in our ward that let me know the secret. I had made the streusel cake for church on Mother's Day. Instead of handing out flowers or chocolate to the mothers of the ward, we as a youth decided to just make desserts and have the MOTHERS stay after church for a minute while they were served dessert. It went off like a bang and all was well, but this is where I was informed how to create the streusel. We know that when we make the cake it all tastes the same as Grandma's, but we never could get the lumps "streusel" on top to work...well thanks to Sister Snider and Nelli, here is the secret. The recipe says to use warm butter. No, do not use warm butter for the top (which by the way is the streusel, the bottom is nothing more than just cake) is to use cool butter, but mix the ingredients with your hands until all ingredients are mixed well and you can make a ball out of your mixture. What I did was just break bits and pieces off the ball I made and...the rest is what you see here.
For those of you who do not have the recipe, here it is, give it a try and see what you think...
STREUSEL CAKE
CAKE-
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1 cup sugar
Cream together and add:
· 2 cups flour
· 2 tsp. Baking powder
· 1/4 tsp. Salt
· 3/4 cup milk
· 2 eggs
Spread in a jellyroll pan/edged cookie sheet.
STREUSEL-
Mix:
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1 cup sugar
· 1 cup flour
Mix by hand until it stays in a lump in your hand, then crumble it over the cake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
P.S. I was informed today by Sister Snider that if you thinly slice some apples and put those between the cake and the streusel, you get an apple cake...mmm...I can't wait to try that one.
-Todd







No comments:
Post a Comment